To Dye or Not To Dye

By , November 13, 2009 4:42 pm

That is the question!

This one is more for the ladies…No Jeep stuff here! 🙂

Since we have simplified our lives…I have attempted to do the same with my “beauty routines”. I have been letting my gray hair show for some times now.

In the past couple of months, I have done the following:

• I have experimented with natural hair care (coffee/tea color the hair, apple cider vinegar rinse and baking soda to shampoo the scalp/hair). I am no longer experimenting. I like my shampoo and conditioner.
  • I have gone without makeup (other than lip balm/gloss and sunscreen/moisturizer).  This is the norm for right now. It’s easy!
  • I have gone without cutting my hair (for longer than normal for me).  I prefer it  short but hubby prefers it long. I have an itch for a hair cut!
  • I have gone without coloring or hi-lighting/low-lighting my hair. I have a LOT of gray. I think the (initial) change in lifestyle and the stress associated with the change have exacerbated the gray.

Here is my dilemma:

Gray2 Gray1 Hair2

Should I color the gray out or should I keep my gray?

I believe I will keep my gray. I wish I have one of those beautiful silver/white hair now! The in-between stage bites!

Now, I just need a short sassy hair cut! 😉

Note from Jonathan: Dasy forgot to mention that some of her ideas for natural hair care came from our friends over at Technomadia…  credit where credit is due. 😉

Be Sociable, Share!

14 Responses to “To Dye or Not To Dye”

1. Roger & Camila says:

Well Dasy, I am sure flaxseed will work for it…! 🙂
    It’s good to see you all are having a good time with htis adventure. As far as grey hair, I will not comment. We’ll let Camila field this one!!!
    Later

2. Julie says:

I vote for letting it go gray – touching up the roots every 4 – 6 weeks is such a pain! I wish I would have just let mine turn natural as it is so hard to do that once you start coloring it.

3. Jonathan says:

>Now, I just need a short sassy hair cut!

That is totally UNACCEPTABLE!!! 😛

4. Barb says:

I have never covered up my gray hair. My husband turned completely gray in this late forties (probably due to life with me)! He told me once that he wanted me to turn gray with him and so I did. No regrets. As I see my friends and acquaintances who are near my age deal with the ever increasing challenge of hair color, I really am happy for my natural state. Just saying, keep the gray! And, maybe your husband will understand that during the transitional stage, a short hair cut is much more attractive!!!!

5. Dasy says:

Thanks ladies! Short, silver, and sassy rocks!

6. Rene says:

Oh gosh, forget the “Natural” coloring products. If you’ve got gray, the only thing that will hide it is 100 percent peroxide-based caustic dyes.

I agonized over this subject long before we hit the road. I’ve had gray since I was 20-something, and have constantly battled it. When I saw the size of our new 5th wheel’s bathroom, I knew that keeping up the hair coloring was going to be a problem.

For the last two years, coloring my hair on the road has worked out OK for me.

But in August, I turned 40. Yep, freekin’ 40. One day as I stood there in the bathroom with stupid hair color in my hair, I thought to myself “this is SO not who I am!” I’ve been a Granola Girl for some 20 years now, and this is crazy! I figured that with a milestone like reaching 40, maybe it was time to give up the false appearances and just be ME. I went au naturel for two months.

Then, I realized that I’m going to see my family in L.A. at Christmas. I have four very made-up sisters. They’re L.A. girls. They are into glitz and glamor, and if I showed up with 3″ roots, I would never hear the end of it. So I gave in, and colored my hair again.

However, once the family trauma is over with, in January I plan to start all over again, and grow out the gray, and be who I really am!

7. Rene says:

Oh, and yes, please do go natural! There are LOTS of us out there, you’ll see. And hell, someone’s gotta set the precident, right? Keeping your hair short is key though. I cut mine off and it feels GREAT!!!

8. Rene says:

Hey where did my 2nd comment go?

Here’s what I said: go for it! Set a precident, be brave. There’s lots of us out there! Keeping your hair short is a good idea though, it makes the growing out process a lot nicer. I cut mine and it feels GREAT! Good luck!!!

9. Jonathan says:

Hey Rene, comments don’t show up until I approve them. It cuts down on the spam. Nothing personal… you should see the spam queue. 😉

10. Karl P says:

I had a very stressful time in my life about two years ago, and I started to get a lot of gray hair. The past year has been somewhat more relaxing, and the gray has completely disappeared! Perhaps now that you’re doing what you want to be doing, your hair will turn back again too, at least for a few more years. I’m in my late 30’s.

11. I am so grateful you addressed this issue! I am more than 50% grey and have fretted so much over this, but thought I was the only one worrying about these kinds of issues…

The problem is, as Rene notes, the roots. I wish I could just get all the color off and have that bad ass long grey hair look, but cannot stand the in between stage.

My hairdresser said I could use temporary color or toner to soften it as it grows out, but you don’t look like you have enough grey to worry about that.

I still don’t know what I am going to do with RV coloring plans.

12. Dasy says:

Jennifer, I did find that the coffee/tea rinse tones down the grays…it helps blend the grays but it is also TIME consuming.

Have you tried Black Malva Shampoo from Aveda? It’s made from black tea, organic aloe, wild-crafted black malva and babassu . It darkens the hair but washes out in several shampoos. (Use it like a semi-perm hair color).

I’ve never used it but my sister bought it after a hi-light turned brassy. She really likes it. It’s a shampoo and seemed lessy messy/time consuming. Check it out and the look at the reviews.

Hope that helps.

13. Abby says:

Hey Dasy! Been missing you. Got your message last week, but my phone has been broken (long story) Will call you soon….do you have skype? I say buy a box of cheap color! 😉 or go all- natural. you look great either way! love and miss you!
    Abby

14. Woman from Spain says:

Use henna. It is natural, it covers -more or less- gray hairs and when you don’t want to use it anymore you just stop it. It washes out gradually in 3 months and you don’t have roots in a different colour. It doesn’t damage your hair, it makes it stronger, healthier and shiny. You can use it as often as you want. The disadvantage is that you have to wear it 3 hours before washing and doesn’t smell very well, and after that you may get a dirty pillow the first days untill you wash your hair a couple of times.