Floor Remodeling: Project Completed

By , December 24, 2010 10:24 am

Here are some pictures of the finished product of our hard work. Whew!!! We are happy with the new floor.

FinishedFront2

FinishedMiddle

FinishedFront Steps

Bare floor is colder on bare feet than carpet (we have carpet in the bedroom and under the sofa). That problem can be easily rectified with an area rug or wearing socks/slippers. We choose not to put a rug in the main area because we like the bare floor. We also like the visual continuity of the floor.

Be Sociable, Share!

10 Responses to “Floor Remodeling: Project Completed”

1. Sam & Tracy says:

Looks Great!!! Just don’t cry the first time a little pebble gets stuck under the slide and scratches the floor. Happened to ours a couple times now. But we still love the floor over having carpet.

We hope you are both doing well and have a Happy New Year.

• Judi says:

Hi
      My husband and I are at the part where we test the slide by sliding it in and out. It scraped across the laminate flooring, leaving some scrapes. I don’t know what to do. Is there any way to lift the slide so it goes over easier. I didn’t see anything.

• Jonathan says:

Keep in mind that it’s been a while and I may be forgetting something, but this is one of the things I asked Newmar and the few people who’ve done this before I started… It was a big part of why we chose a laminate that was the thickness it was (which wasn’t easy to find).

Now that you’re essentially “done”, getting a thinner laminate isn’t really an option. I have three suggestions… First, call Newmar and explain it to them. If there’s an adjustment I don’t know about, they will. I’m pretty sure my slide had rear adjusters to adjust the height of the outside wall, but no front adjusters which is what you would need. I’m not even sure such things exist. But, I do remember someone (possibly at Newmar) saying that the roller wheels for the slide are actually made in different sizes and that I *might* need a larger one when switching from carpet to laminate. Fortunately I didn’t, but it sounds like you do. The other option is to add a layer of something (like 1/4″ plywood) between the roller wheels and slide floor to lift the whole thing up a bit. I’m not a big fan of that… I think larger rollers would be a better solution.

Regardless, call Newmar. They are helpful and can tell you what other options there are or where you can get larger rollers if that’s the route you decide to take.

Judi, I’ll email you as well just to make sure you get this. GL!

2. Mom says:

Congratulations!!!! It looks beautiful. Nice job.

3. Rob says:

Great job guys. That couch is just begging for me, heck, the remote is already there!

4. Brenda says:

WOW! What a fantastic job you guys did! Impressive.

Hope you both have a wonderful Christmas.

5. Barb says:

Beautiful! It looks so clean. What wonderful work you do!!! Congratulations.

6. Kevin says:

Wow – very impressed! Looks fantastic.

–kev

7. Craig says:

I’m doing my 2006 Kountry Star right now and would like to know what you did to finish off the edge of the flooring at the entry steps on the the three sides?
    Thanks

• Jonathan says:

Sorry for the lack of reply, didn’t notice this one sitting there. 🙁

I’m pretty sure I used a right-angle aluminum strip and just cut t at 45 degrees on the ends to they’d mate up together. You can find them at most hardware stores fairly easily. They’re for finishing the edges of steps, usually where tile meets the top of a step.

After revisiting our photos, I see what you’re asking about…

That’s actually a clear acrylic LED light strip we got from Ikea. We like that better than the little footwell lights that were in the stairs. It happened to be about the same width at the flooring, so I just glued it in place and ran the wire around the edge of the flooring. I thought it was cool and no one ever noticed it until it was turned on. 🙂